Is your child going to sink or swim in math class this school year? Prepare your child to make a splash in first grade, with the help of Splash Math – 1st Grade Worksheets of Numbers, Counting, Addition, and Subtraction.
School’s almost here, and for many kids, it’s time to start making the transition from having fun splashing in the pool, to fun making a splash in math class. Help prepare your child with Splash Math – 1st Grade Worksheets; a very comprehensive and extensive app that encompasses and reinforces all areas of curriculum for first grade math, in an engaging and interactive way. Splash Math – 1st Grade Worksheets, by StudyPad, Inc., is available for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad (universal for $4.99), and the HD full version specifically designed for the iPad for $9.99. Your child beyond first grade? Check out 2nd Grade Math Splash App, 3rd Grade Math Splash App, or 4th Grade Math Splash App, too!
You might be thinking this app is a little more expensive than the typical educational apps I share. Though it is on the more expensive-side, you can tryout the Free Lite version, to determine if purchasing the full app is worth it to your child. See the free lite version here. With 13 chapters covering over 185 math skills, and a seemingly endless supply of problems, you’ll soon experience and realize the value of this detailed app.
Here’s how Splash Math – 1st Grade Worksheets works:
Before jumping into the worksheet problems, try the practice option first, accessible via the home screen. Also be sure to visit Setup to customize the math problems to best suit your child, for example, choose between 10-100 questions per session, and turn certain types of questions on or off.
Done practicing? Jump into the Play mode, and answer multiple choice math problems. The problems automatically start at easy levels, and unlock to the medium and hard difficulty levels as your child successfully completes the problems.
Earn rewards by answering questions correctly, and take a break from the worksheets, and play with your rewards in the aquarium. Redeem your reward points with pets and other aquarium items, and tap on the objects to play, feed, and read more about living creatures under the sea.
Parents, you can also setup your email account to receive weekly reports of your child’s progress within the app, with easy to understand graphs that clearly label your child’s strengths and weaknesses. After reviewing the reports, consider entering the Setup section, and customize the questions to focus on your chid’s weaker areas.
Here are the math skill focuses covered within Splash Math- 1st Grade Worksheets:
1. Place Value – Ones; Tens; Numbers to 100
2. Number Sense – Counting; Compare numbers; Order numbers
3. Addition Concepts – Sentences; Add with models; Model part-part whole; Add 0; Add in any order; Make a number
4. Subtraction Concepts – Sentences; Subtract with models; Subtract 0; all; Take apart numbers; Subtract to compare
5. Addition Strategy -Count on; Double facts; Make a ten; Add three numbers; Add numbers to 10; Word problems
6. Subtraction Strategy – Sentences; Relate addition; Fact families; Numbers to 10; Word problems
7. Addition and Subtraction – Equivalent sentences; Fact families; Mixed operations
8. Two Digit Operations – Add tens; Add ones; Two digit subtraction
9. Data and Graphs – Pictographs; Tally charts; Bar graphs
10. Time – Read analog and digital clocks
11. Money – Identify coins; Count coins
12. Addition Refresher – Add 0; Add 1; Add 2; Add 3; Add 4; Add 5; Add 6; Add 7; Add 8; Add 9
13. Subtraction Refresher 13. Subtraction Refresher – Subtract 0; Subtract 1; Subtract 2; Subtract 3; Subtract 4; Subtract 5; Subtract 6; Subtract 7; Subtract 8; Subtract 9
Splash Math- 1st Grade Worksheets is a great tool that teachers, parents, and students will love. I love, how your child won’t see the same problems over and over again, and I’m loving the unique feature of a free-play rewards game, for kids to further enjoy the app, besides just hitting the “books”. Overall the app is easy to navigate for a first grader, and smartly designed, for example, in the Practice mode, under each title category of a type of math problem, there is an illustration. This illustration helps beginner readers who may not be able to read the titles, so they can still understand the math category by looking at the illustrated depiction. One small update I’d recommend, and is just my personal preference, would be to change the robotic-sounding voice-over currently giving instructions in the app, to a more personable and friendly voice.
Please see my video below to watch the app in action.
Splash Math – 1st Grade Math Worksheets is a great educational resource for parents and teachers, that transforms boring math worksheets to a fun and interactive experience, that helps students stay engaged and enjoy mastering important math skills.
Disclosure: I do not receive compensation for writing this app review. I received a promotional code for this app in faith of writing an app review. The photos used were taken as screen shots from my iPhone or iPad. Views expressed in this review are purely and only mine. Pricing was accurate at the time of this review.